NYT > Adultery

Monday, February 20, 2012

Infidelity as Old as Time



At about the same time humanity came to be, infidelity poised itself as part of human existence, so the story goes. Spousal cheating is not a new a societal phenomenon and is in fact as old as time. It has occurred during biblical times and continues to occur at our present time.

Infidelity came from the word infidel which originally meant someone who has become unfaithful to his/her religion. Today, the word infidelity is more readily associated with people who are unfaithful to their spouses and their marriage. It almost always includes the presumption of cheating with a sexual nature.

Depending on beliefs and prevailing culture, infidelity can either be accepted, tolerated or condemned. The term is sometimes used interchangeably with affair, cheating, betrayal, and adultery. In places where it is deemed punishable by law, cheaters will have to face possible stoning, hanging , payment of damages to aggrieved spouse, or imprisonment.

The reaction to infidelity hasn't changed much over time. Privileged men like kings of yesteryears and rich men of current years are allowed to slide easier than people of lesser means. Infidelity is sometimes even carried with honor in societies that associate manliness with the number of women involved with. Time can eventually modify what constitutes infidelity although the key element of violating spousal trust is expected to remain.

2 comments:


  1. If you know you not ready for a relationship why get into one and still cheat and liar. I was dying inside for my cheating wife , i had no prove, no one to run to. Everyone thought i was paranoid. until i was referred to a Private Investigator  Mr James . I told him about my situation and He understood me well and helped me spy on my wife.He hacked my wifes Gmail and Facebook account and linked all her WhatsApp and phone conversation to me, to find out the truth.I saw all the evidence and i was heart Broken,I just want to openly say thank you to James for helping me get evidence against her,i feel so hurt. If you need help please contact him Mr James (Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com) via Email. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspected my wife of cheating on me but I never had any proof. This went on for months, I didn't know what to do. i was so paranoid and decided to find a solution, i saw a recommendation about a private investigator and decided to contact him. I explained the situation about my wife to him and he said he was going to help me.I gave him all the informations he required and afterwards i received all my wife’s phones Text messages and calls, I was hurt when i saw a picture of my wife and her lover. I feel so bad about infidelity. but i am glad Mr james was able to help me get all this information, you can contact him via email(worldcyberhackers@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete